Sunday, April 3, 2011

Yesterday, my friend Xuan Chen invited me to come along with her and a few friends on a hike in Ceja Pelon, in the badlands near Cuba, looking for petrified wood. It was a nice rambling day, and we saw several beautifully preserved fossils, and views of some pretty strange and remarkable country.




I'm trying to get more practice with descriptive mark-making, and quick but expressive landscape studies, so I worked this one up in ink.




I then made copies of it on heavy paper and went at it with two approaches: one with a brown wash (thinking of Rembrandt)....




...and the other with more developed color.


5 comments:

  1. LOVE! Did you guys find any petrified wood? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We did! Not the huge pieces that one finds pictures of online, but many fragments and a couple of splintered logs. It was funny to get home and realize I didn't take any pictures of the actual wood! I think I talked myself out of it because I'm so sure I'll go back soon in search of the "forest"...and because I get lazy about digging my camera out of my bag.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely. The b&w one is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Chris! I find that (as is often the case in my life) I like whichever one I'm looking at the best. I guess that's a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing. Makes me want you to do more printmaking. I can feel the wind.

    ReplyDelete