Friday, November 19, 2010

I went out to do a plein air gouache study late this evening near the tennis courts, and ended up working in the dark under a campus vapor light, finally coming home with numb hands, and this:


...which isn't finished, but when I enjoyed working on for lots of reasons, not least among them that I got to spend a lot of time in thoughts of my friend Karen Cleveland and her work. I can't do what she does--her forms are so evocative, moving, suggestive--her use of negative space so brilliant and sparing--her marks and subjects so distinctively personal and iconic--her palettes so gorgeous.

But I'm also inspired and inspirited by her faith in intuition, and that's something I can emulate, when I'm feeling brave enough! I like it when I can let grass and leaves look like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment