Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Having fun tonight, brainstorming whether, and how much, to decorate my violin, once it reaches the finishing stages...

I printed out a low-res copy of the back of the Guarneri I'm using as a guide, and then used ink and acrylic paint to see how I feel about painting that will cover the majority of the surface.




I'm torn! The patterning is fun and distinctive, but it seems a shame to cover so much of that lovely wood. I'll play with a few more drafts and see what I can do to strike a balance.

4 comments:

  1. Gorgeous, Cedra! I completely understand the quandary. Wood is such a work of art in and of itself. Can't wait to see what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely design! You could pull back on the green background paint, have it become more gradual with "holes in the foliage," maybe have some if it follow and play with the wood grain.ki877777777777777777777777777777777777778
    Our cat, cadfael, typed that last bit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both (well, I suppose 'thank you ALL' would be more appropriate, given Cadfael's insightful suggestion) for the positive feedback!

    I agree that pulling back on the background is the way to go--the wood really is gorgeous. Anyway, rest assured that whatever I do, I'll post it here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it. I think it's a totally different project, though, and perhaps is separate from making the violin. Exploring surfaces other than panels seems like fun.

    ReplyDelete